Welcome to MGCC's online application portal!
Below you will see the application.
If you’ve used Submittable before and have an existing account, you will need to enter your login credentials. If it’s your first time using Submittable, you will need to create a new account. All you need is an email and password to create your account, it's that simple. We will follow up with you about your application by email. Please be sure the email address you used to sign up for your Submittable account is one that you check regularly.
For other small business grant opportunities, please visit MGCC's website at empoweringsmallbusiness.org.
CDBG-CV Microenterprise Assistance Program, Round VIII
Massachusetts Growth Capital Corporation (MGCC) will be administering funds from the Community Development Block Grant COVID-19 (CDBG-CV) program to 23 municipalities for microenterprise assistance.
These special CDBG-CV funds were appropriated through the CARES Act of 2020 and are being awarded to Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) by the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).
CDBG-CV Microenterprise Assistance grant funding will support qualifying microenterprises adversely impacted by COVID-19, giving priority to minority status owned business (Minority, Women, Veteran, Disability, LBGTQ+).
APPLICATION SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS:
Your application must be filled out and submitted along with attachments as stated in “Required Documentation” electronically through MGCC’s online application portal, Submittable. Hard copies or electronic copies submitted in any other way, such as mailed in or emailed, will not be considered.
- Business must have a physical establishment in one of the following cities/towns: Ashland, Beverly, Burlington, Canton, Concord, Dedham, Essex, Lexington, Manchester by the Sea, Marlborough, Melrose, Milton, Natick, North Reading, Norwood, Randolph, Reading, Sharon, Southborough, Stoneham, Watertown, Winchester or Woburn.
- (UPDATE, 11/30/20 – Businesses looking to apply from the town of Norwood, please be advised that funds allocated for the town have been exhausted.)
- (UPDATE, 6/11/21 – Businesses looking to apply from the town of Stoneham, Sharon, and Randolph, please be advised that funds allocated for the town have been exhausted.)
- Business must be a microenterprise (a commercial enterprise that has 5 or fewer employees, 1 or more of whom owns the enterprise).
- Business owner(s) must qualify under the Low-Moderate Income (LMI) Limited Clientele national objective criteria. All owners of the business must earn an annual income equal to or less than 80% of the Area Median Income (AMI) based on family size.
- Business must be a for-profit entity (sole proprietorship, partnerships, corporations, or LLCs).
- Business must provide goods or services to multiple clients or customers.
- Business must be able to document a loss of income equal to or greater than requested assistance due to COVID-19.
- Business must be currently in operation and have been established prior to 10/01/2019.
- Business must be in good standing with the state and city/town:
o Business must be current on all taxes due through 3/1/2020; and
o Have active and valid state licenses/registrations, if applicable; and
o Not a party to litigation involving the Commonwealth or municipality you operate in.
- Ineligible businesses:
o Real estate rentals/sales businesses;
o Businesses owned by persons under age 18;
o Businesses that are chains;
o Liquor stores;
o Weapons/firearms dealers;
o Lobbyists; or
o Cannabis-related businesses.
AMOUNT OF FUNDING:
Up to $25,000 per business with demonstrated costs greater than or equal to the amount requested. Businesses may also be considered for additional grants.
APPROVED USE OF FUNDS:
Funds may be used for working capital to cover business costs, such as rent, staffing, utilities, technical assistance, general support and stabilization of the business. Funds may also be used for purchasing personal protection equipment (PPE).
NON-APPROVED USE OF FUNDS:
Microenterprise Assistance grant funds may not be used for major equipment purchases, purchase of real property, construction activities, business expansion, or lobbying.
Funding for this program will be provided through your town/city’s CDBG-CV funds, which are allocated by DHCD.
Massachusetts Growth Capital Corporation (MGCC) reviews applications on a rolling basis to determine eligibility. All eligible applicants will be reviewed by their respective city/town in which their business is located for final recommendations, confirming that they are up to date on their taxes and certifications. MGCC will award and disburse grants based upon eligibility criteria and city/town determinations.
Please be prepared to provide the following for your application. All documents should be signed as required:
- DUNS Number (You can look up your DUNS Number by following the link. If you do not yet have one, you can put in a free, expedited request for a number (24-hour turnaround) by specifying that you are applying for a government grant. Use the Self-Service Portal link: www.dnb.com/govtduns and choose "Federal Government Contractors or Grantees DUNS Number Support".)
- A copy of your complete and filed 2019 (or 2020, if available) Federal Business Tax Return as submitted to the IRS. If you file Schedule C income, please upload that document in place of a Business Tax Return.
- A copy of your complete 2019 (or 2020, if available) Federal Personal Tax Return as submitted to the IRS for each business owner.
- A copy of your License to Operate/Business License/Professional Certification, if applicable
- Completed and Signed IRS W-9 Form
- If your business is a LLC, Partnership or Corporation: A copy of your Certificate of Good Standing from the Secretary of State, not from the Department of Revenue (A Certificate of Good Standing from the Department of Revenue is not required.) If you need to request a Certificate of Good Standing, click here: https://corp.sec.state.ma.us/CorpWeb/Certificates/CertificateOrderForm.aspx.
- If your business is a Sole Proprietorship: A copy of your Business Certificate (DBA) from the city/town in which your business operates
- A copy of your Lease or Mortgage Bill
- If your business has received any state, local or federal COVID-19 financial aid, please provide documentation
- Documentation to demonstrate that the COVID-19 pandemic has caused a loss of income equal to or greater than the requested assistance: Provide a brief description (100-word limit).
- A copy of the invoice(s) for expenses you wish to use these grant funds to cover. If it is for a future expense, please describe in detail what that expense will be (in 1-2 sentences) and expect to submit proof that the expense was paid within 45 days of receiving your grant award.
- If you used 2020 projected total household income to determine LMI, please provide the following income verification:
- Wages or distributions paid to the owner for most recent 8-week period
- Wages or other income & pay stubs for most recent 8-week period
- Wages or other income
- Pay stubs for most recent 8-week period for every member of your household age 18+ working for an employer
- Unemployment verification letter & pay stubs for most recent 8-week period of unemployment benefits
- Benefit statement, verification letter or periodic statement for: Public Assistance, Child Support, VA, Unemployment, Social Security, SSI, disability and each pension/investment income source stating the amount and frequency of benefit (All that apply)
- 2 months of any/all checking and savings accounts for every member of your household age 18+ working for an employer
COMPLIANCE WITH FEDERAL FUNDS, LAWS AND REGULATIONS:
Applicants must comply with all applicable laws.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ's): Click Here
TECHNICAL SUPPORT: CONTACT SUBMITTABLE
Visit the Help Center: https://www.submittable.com/help/submitter/
OTHER QUESTIONS: CONTACT MGCC
Please use the subject line “CDBG-CV Microenterprise Assistance Program”
Spanish & Portuguese Video - Provided by the town of Marlborough but applicable to all 23 participating municipalities!